Guillemots (again!)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alan Hewitt Photo
Alan Hewitt Photo Regular Member • Posts: 418
Guillemots (again!)

I have a book called 'Bird Sense' written by Professor Tim Birkhead. As the title suggests, it's about the senses of birds and how acute they are especially in comparison to our own.
Professor Tim Birkhead is very well respected author and researcher of zoology and behavioural ecology.

In this book he talks about the sensitivity and acuity of bird sight and uses his guillemot research to evidence his claims. In one paragraph, he recounts behavioural tests studying guillemots on the island of Skomer and his observations that incubating guillemots would suddenly stand up and give a greeting call despite the mate / partner being absent.
He continues that the mate / partner would call for some time then eventually, an incoming bird alighted beside it and each would greet each other. This is part of his evidence that guillemots have such acuity in their eyesight, they can distinguish and recognise their mate from several hundred yards away.

Stuff like this fascinates me and it is this natural history that brought me into wildlife photography, particularly my preference to photograph with natural history rather than 'fine art' in mind.

With this photograph of a returning guillemot, we have the body and wing shape action of one bird slowing down to land, we have the cliff face breeding habitat on the right and we have the fixated line of sight between the two guillemots as they come together.

This is what floats my photographic boat!
Fujifilm X-H1 and 100-400mm.

-- hide signature --

FUJIFILM UK Ambassador/ X-Photographer
Formatt-Hitech Ambassador
Wildlife Photographer, filmmaker, photo safari & workshop guide, freelance writer.
Instagram u/n: alanhewittphoto

Alan Hewitt Photo's gear list:Alan Hewitt Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR
Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow