Epson vs. Canon matte papers--wow!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 7,065
Epson vs. Canon matte papers--wow!

I am struck by how much better the best non-'fine art' Canon matte photo paper is, compared to the best non-'fine art' Epson matte photo paper. This is based on both measurements and subjective viewing.

To be clear, the papers I'm talking about are Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte and Canon PM-101 Photo Paper Pro Premium Matte.

The Canon paper had just looked noticeably better to me, both in the Canon Pro-100 at work and also in my Epson R280 at home. Wondering whether my eyes were fooling me, I used my X-Rite ColorMunki Photo spectrophotometer and the i1Studio 1.5.1 software to make ICC printing profiles for each paper in my Epson. I then compared the ICC profiles at ICC View. The results were startling: even in the Epson printer, the Canon paper has a 28% larger gamut (645,467 CCU vs. 505,998 CCU)

and an L* minimum of 9, versus 19 for the Epson paper (as reported by the ICC Profile Inspector software, see https://www.color.org/profileinspector.xalter, and as shown below at ICC VIew):

Currently at B&H, for letter-size sheets, the Epson paper is $0.38/sheet and the Canon paper is $0.36/sheet. The Canon paper is 210 gsm and 12.2 mils thick; the Epson paper is 192 gsm and 10.3 mils thick.

Net takeaway: compared to the Epson matte paper, the slightly cheaper Canon matte paper, even when used in an Epson printer, has a substantially larger color gamut, a substantially darker maximum black, greater thickness, and heavier weight--IMO, a clear winner.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow