Other Brand Users Watching Closely

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
northlarch Forum Member • Posts: 94
Other Brand Users Watching Closely

I’ve always lusted over Fujifilms. I first purchased an X-T2, quickly followed by the X-T3 when it came out, as well as the beloved X100V. The shooting experience was the most fun I’d had in a while, but for wildlife, the system’s AF and lack of telephoto lenses just weren’t getting it done, so I bought into Canon’s RF line and kept my X100V. But I’ve been keeping a very close eye on Fujifilm ever since, rooting for them, and as a Canon user who hates the company, I’m really itching to come back around to this forum for wildlife work. Here is what I’d like to see from someone outside of the present Fujifilm community:

1. Get back to their ongoing refinement process and kaizen. Firmware updates made them special for so long—this is a strength of Fujifilm’s that should be leveraged.
  2. Supertele lenses. If you’re going after the wildlife/birding market with this release, which is what I’ve read seems to be the consensus, then you need longer glass options. Primes, not just the big zoom.
  3. The PASM discussion really bothers me, but they’re in a tough position if going for birders. I personally don’t like the PASM dial; my R5 has no dials and I’d much rather go no dials than have a PASM. But I wish they could find a way to include the tactile knob controls and still customize layout for birders with BBF and maybe even double or triple BBF. That would be ideal. Knobs there when you slow down but button layout and wheel for BBF when you need speed.
  4. Finally, AF. Gotta get it together here. It’s light years behind for those who need it. Coming from the R5, they’re not even close. Hope they’ve been listening and working on it.

Fujfilm does a ton right, or at least they have for years to this point. They seem to be pulling back a bit since the new CEO took over with more of an emphasis on medical equipment. But they’ve got such an amazing community here and a truly unique product if they stick to what’s been working with attention to detail and kaizen, manual controls and the retro feel we all love, firmware updates, film simulations, style and shooting experience. Excited for these new cameras and hope to return soon for wildlife—if not with the X-H2 or H2s maybe the X-T5.

Canon EOS R5 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rbf
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow