I Don't Understand This Focus

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Joshua Ziff New Member • Posts: 6
I Don't Understand This Focus

I got my Z9 in mid-April and have been using to learn it on northeast Ohio's spring bird season. I started with the 300/4 PF and soon got a 100-400Z. I have about 12 sessions in and have learned a lot about how the AF works. I am getting more comfortable with using the different modes for different circumstances.

Because I am in serious practicing mode with the Z9, I pay particular attention to the focus results. I use NX Studio to process the NEF and assess overall results, and the focus points and AF settings I used. I am always looking for where did the camera focus.

I've been noticing some results where I think the depth of field is wacky. Many times it seems much to small and steep in going from into to out of focus. I was just about to post to the group asking for their insight into my perceived focus issues when the results from a photo I took today show an extreme example.

Turtle

With the turtle photo, I am trying to focus through the grass on the turtle's head. The focus was AF-C, AF Wide Area L, Subject detection animal. I overrode the AF and used manual focus. I kept the focus button half-pressed while moving the lens's MF ring, seeing the manual focus indicators and click. S 3200 F 8, ISO 1000. 100-400 at 400mm.

Who can explain such a result straight from RAW? I took a burst of three that had this result. Similar bursts just before and after had normal depth of fields.

Heron

At best, there is some focus near the eye. But, if not there, where? And, if there or wherever, why so extremely narrow? S2000, F 8, ISO 640. AF C. Wide Area L, subject detection animal. 100-400 @400 with 1.4 teleconverter.

The out of focus area is also weird. More like the result from a deliberate filter then an out of focus image.

Josh

Nikon Z9 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S2000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow