RP as a first Full format and first Mirrorless camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
howellls Regular Member • Posts: 183
RP as a first Full format and first Mirrorless camera

Hello, I have been shotting DX going back to the realese of the Canon 20D. I still have numerous APS-C DSLR's . The only camera shope you can see cameras at these days around me is Best Buys. We were recently in Maul and while my older DSLR's did great in RAW, it was challenging when we went to evening functions, shows and a Luau. I went in to see the 90D, but I after not getting a new camera in 5 years, I would really like to expericence Full Format and Mirrorless. I am an amatuer photograher since the 70's and do mostly people and scenery photos. I also enjoy shooting RAW and putting the RAW images through Lightroom and Photoshop. I see 3 options within the Canon R line. 1) RP with kit lens - RF 24-105. Pros: would be lowest cost and I would get an excellent intro to Canon Full Format and Mirrorless. I would expect a great leap forward at high ISO from my latest 5 year old DSLR's. Perceived concern: the better build and features of the R6, Spending good money on a kit lens. 2) RP with a RF 24-105 L. Pros: I would finally get to experince L glass. Perceived concern: not a R6, is the extra cost of the L lens $900 more be worth it and noticeable from an IQ perspective. 3) R6 with RF 204-105 STM kit lens. Pros: love the feel and of the R6. I like heavy cameras. It seems more solid. The RP seems to feel like it has a Rebel build. I really like my Rebel t2I which has been flawless. Sensor cover when changing lens. Would have more feature function. Better ISO. I also like the joystick and the claasic EOS dial. Perceived concerns: price, it is over twice the price of the RP. WOuld not have budget to get L glass. Even a R6 would be pushing my budget limit. So my 3 big questions that I can;t really answer 1) would the R6 be overkill. 2) Would the IQ be noticeiby better on the R6? 3) Would I be better off getting the L glass with the RP vs the kits glass on the R6? I have always heard to invest more in lens's that can be used over multiple bodies over time.

Would welcome and appreciate feedback for anyome who has used the RP, R6. Also the RF 24-105 kit vs RF 24-105 L glass. Thanks so much.

Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow