Screen calibration question - Adobe RGB and sRGB

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,255
Screen calibration question - Adobe RGB and sRGB

So some of my photos end up being printed, but almost all are edited for on-screen use.

I recently bought a BenQ SW240 monitor which supports most of the sRGB and Adobe RGB color spaces (something like 90%+ of each), and it has a color profile selection option on the screen where I can change from Adobe RGB, to SRGB to B&W (which I don't use the B&W mode). But I noticed that the sRGB mode is dull and a bit washed out compared to Adobe RGB. This doesn't surprise me as I know the sRGB color space is smaller and this could be related to color shifting due to the smaller color space, but what is the recommended workflow in this case where someone is doing editing destined for both print and screen? Should I calibrate under the sRGB hardware profile (with the i1) or leave it as Adobe RGB?

I would say that probably only 25% of my stuff is printed and I'm using a Canon Pro 100 printer, if that matters. My main concern is on-screen viewing I guess (so maybe I should just use the sRGB screen mode and re-profile simply because most of the work will be on-screen and most people viewing it will probably have a standard uncalibrated monitor) as I can do proofing for print I guess -- or test prints. (I know the two will never be exactly the same, but I'd like to get as close as possible with the least amount of fuss, but while making sure my on-screen work looks good.)

-- hide signature --

NOTE: If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread/article..

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +10 more
Canon Pixma Pro-100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow