35 f1.4 GM vs 35 f1.8 vs 55 f1.8

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
NatureBX Regular Member • Posts: 300
Re: 35 f1.4 GM vs 35 f1.8 vs 55 f1.8

Tjioe wrote:

hi, maybe this is classic and boring question.

im hard to decide which lens to buy

and this is would be my first prime lens.

Im not a professional.

My use of this lens is : everyday lens that versatile enough , so i choose a "not so big" lens and fast (minimum f1.8)

after a long research , i choose this 3 option, because i think 35 or 50mm is the most versatile than the other focal length.

and here is the question i want to ask:

1. 35mm f1.4 GM , yes this is absolutely greatest in term of quality, and still considered compact, what i want to know is , is it worth 2.5x price and 2/3 stop brighter compare to 35mm f1.8 ?

2. 35mm f1.8 , great lens, good price-performance ratio, for you guys who owned this for everyday use, do you need a faster than 1.8 often ? , i dont want to regret and upgrade to faster 35mm later.

3. 55mm f1.8 , great lens too, but is it too old for future proof ? 2013 released lens, and im afraid sony will produce new 50mm f1.8 G soon , as we know 1 by 1 zeiss lenses already be replaced.

im not included any 50mm f1.4 or 1.2, because its already too big for everyday use for me.

please tell me your opinion from each lens, ill appreaciate all your answer, thank you

This is an easy choice. I’ve used all 3 lenses. The 35f1.8 is probably worst of the 3, the bokeh and color rendering wasn’t to my liking, too dull, nothing special. The 55mm is an old lens, the bokeh rendering isn’t great either, although it has great review but that was only compared to lenses of that time. If compare to the current GM lines then no where near.

if it is your first lens then 35mm focal length is perfect walk around lens. The 35GM is great lens, probably must have lens

NatureBX's gear list:NatureBX's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Sony a7R III Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Fsi
Fsi
Fsi
Fsi
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow