X-s10 16-80 AF problem

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dkinny23 Forum Member • Posts: 65
X-s10 16-80 AF problem

I am a bit of a beginner so I’m going to try and explain this as best as I can:

I have been using my 16-80 lens to take quite some lovely “macro” shots for the past few months. I know it’s not specifically a macro lens but I’ve been able to achieve a similar look by zooming all the way in, getting really close to my subject, and having the aperture wide open. Over the past few days, I’ve noticed issues with the autofocus - it sort of just fails to actually focus when I use this technique. I’m not really doing anything different than I did over the past few months and I haven’t changed and settings (to my knowledge). I just keep getting the red box that indicates that it’s not focused. I also can visibly see the lens struggling.

Of course when I bring it in to B&H since it’s still under warranty, they tell me it’s working fine. I showed them what I meant and the reasoning they gave me was that my lens had been behaving incorrectly and now it’s “clicked into place”. He mentioned something about the minimum focus distance now being a foot and a half. Is minimum focus distance something that can just all of a sudden change in lens?? That sounds incredibly wrong to me, but what do I know? 
Beyond standing away from my subjects a bit, is there anything I can do to solve this issue? It’s quite annoying cause it’s interfering with the way I’ve been shooting with this lens. Should I bring it back to B&H and ask to speak to someone else? I get the sense from that store that if you’re not there to actually buy something, they could care less about helping with a problem. Pretty disappointing honestly. I only find this at the Fuji desk btw, everyone else in the store has been helpful to me in the past.

Fujifilm X-S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow