Good Video on R7 Suitability as a Backup to the R5 by Jan Wegener

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Karl_Guttag Senior Member • Posts: 1,443
Good Video on R7 Suitability as a Backup to the R5 by Jan Wegener

I have become a huge fan of Jan Wegener's videos, even though I don't normally photograph birds. He always seems to have some of the best practical advice and gives clear and concise reasoning. Jan's R5 setup video should be on everyone's watch list if they have an R5 or R6.

His latest video goes into what he thinks are the pros and cons of the R7's design. Note that he does not have the camera yet, but is basing his comments on the available information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDh_I9ibBh4

My key takeaways (from memory) from his video:

• Very impressed with the level/quality of Autofocus
  • Video capability is better than expected, but still capability a little worse than he would want in a 2nd body to an R5. 
  • The burst buffer size is too small.
  • The R7 is aimed to be used with a mechanical shutter. The rolling shutter is pretty severe (worse than R5, more like the original R).
  • He is worried about the blackout between frames. I don't know if this is a real issue. Maybe coupled with not using an electronic shutter, he assumes there will be a blackout issue. He says he often uses the R5's electronic shutter in his other videos.
  • Changing up the button and dial placements was a lousy idea
  • Worried about the lower resolution EVF
  • Overall, the R7 might be good for beginning bird shooters but not that good 2nd body for an R5 owner.

He says he has ordered an R7 to try out, but he will be waiting to get it.

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +13 more
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow