Historical Perspective—Is EF Past RF Prologue?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Spino94
Spino94 Junior Member • Posts: 46
Historical Perspective—Is EF Past RF Prologue?

Now that we have seen it, the R7 is more of a successor to the XXD APS-C DSLRs than the 7D line.  I never owned one of the XXD cameras, but did have both 7D bodies. Looking back  got me thinking of timelines—how many XXD cameras did we see before we got the 7D?

I went looking for a timeline and this Wikipedia page popped—it’s actually a pretty nice reference if you are interested in this kind of thing (my apologies if you already have seen this):  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Canon_EOS_digital_cameras.  It does a nice job of putting all the cameras and developments into temporal perspective.

The first big takeaway I took from this is one we already knew—Canon is pretty conservative in terms of how the company rolls things out.  There were five generations of XXD cameras—and the 30D and 60D before them—before we saw the original 7D.  They were pretty positive about the APS-C market, and the overall camera market was a lot bigger than as well.

The second big takeaway for me actually came from looking at the 5D timeline.  I had the last three of those cameras, and the 5D2 actually reminds me a lot of the R7.  Both came with an almost revolutionary capability at the price point (1080 video and pro-style autofocus, respectively), but both had some real limitations (the autofocus in the 5D II was not everything it could be, to be nice).  But the 5D3 started putting everything in one package—the build quality, autofocus, etc., and became a very popular workhorse.

I hope that 5D-style path is the one the R7 gets….

Spino94's gear list:Spino94's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R3 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM +7 more
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow