Sharpening in DXO Photolab vs Ligthroom

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
everexplore New Member • Posts: 18
Sharpening in DXO Photolab vs Ligthroom

I am trying to wean myself from Lightroom and I find DXO Photolab a great choice for that. However in certain situations I find a puzzling difference between the two. In normal circumstances when a lens is supported by the software DXO PL has a Lens Sharpness tool that does a pretty good job and stands up to LR very well. However I recently bought Laowa 7.5mm f/2 (auto aperture) which is not supported by DXO PL. That means I cannot rely on the Lens Sharpness tool and the only fallback I have is Unsharp Mask. My problem: no matter what combination of USM parameters I use I never get a resulting image as sharp as LR's default output. In LR I just import the RAW and export it with no corrections and it comes out much better looking than any correction I apply in DXO PL in this case. Attached is a 100% comparison. On the left side is LR, on the right side is the image form DXO PL.

Have you encountered something similar - lack of sharpness in DXO PL? How do you handle sharpness for unsupported lenses? Is there any equivalency between LR's sharpness settings and DXO PL's Unsharp Mask settings?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow