R7 Reach Compared to an R5

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Wildkits
Wildkits Regular Member • Posts: 251
R7 Reach Compared to an R5

I am intrigued by the R7 as a second body, notably for the added "reach" (more pixels being placed on a subject holding focal length and distance combination) provided by its 32MP sensor. In particular, I'm curious about whether there is a noticeable increase in detail compared to the R5 in crop mode (17MP).

In other fora, some have claimed that defraction and small pixel size renders the difference between the R7 and R5 in crop mode irrelevant, i.e., there will be no or little noticeable difference in detail provided between the R7's 32.5MP and the R5's 17MP in crop mode. Undoubtedly there is some loss in detail due to these factors, and the R7's sensor may be noisier. And I suspect that this question can't be unequivocally answered until the cameras have been tested side-by-side. However, the D90 (and M6?) have versions of the R7 sensor, so there is some data available.

Hence, does the R7's sensor truly provide additional "reach" compared to the R5 in crop mode?

Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R7 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow