Missing Super wide RF-S Lens (~10mm or less to ~20/30mm)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Karl_Guttag Senior Member • Posts: 1,443
Missing Super wide RF-S Lens (~10mm or less to ~20/30mm)

I expect that Canon will get around to it, but a very wide lens seems to signal that Canon was thinking about mostly long shooters (classically, "Bird People").

As a recovering 20+ year Canon APS-C camera user, it seems rather glaring that there is not more discussion of the lack of a very wide RF-S lens. Far and away my most used lens on my APS-C cameras was the EF-S 10-22mm.

Technically, with the even shorter flange distance, it should be easier to make a very wide-angle lens (even below 10mm). If the APS-C line is to stand on its own and not be just a specialty for long shooting, not having a very wide angle reasonably priced and sized seems to be a glaring hole.

The RF-S 18-55 as everyone has noted seems to be a worthless lens just to say they included a lens. The RF-S 18-150 would seem to be somewhat useful for some people. But they are missing something that will get them below 18mm.

IMO, they need something in the range of 8 to 10mm on the wide end going to 20 to 30mm on the far end (about a 3x zoom range).

One other point of interest: I have noticed with almost all the "consumer-grade" RF lenses is that they are very sharp in the center of the field. They should perform quite well on ASP-C sensor cameras.

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow