Canon 24-70 f2.8 or stick with 18-135 USM

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Haribo1681 New Member • Posts: 14
Canon 24-70 f2.8 or stick with 18-135 USM

Hi all - it’s another one of those “this lens or that lens” posts… but I’d appreciate your thoughts please.

I currently shoot with a Canon 80D, predominantly sport - football (soccer), running, cycling, triathlon etc but I also visit schools for work (marketing) to capture videos and photos.

I usually use a 55-250 STM for football but I am upgrading this to a 70-200 f2.8. I’m wondering if, at the same time, I would feel much benefit from replacing my 18-135 with a 24-70L at the same time. I’m planning on switching to full frame in maybe a year (probably less), so that’s on the radar and I’d be effectively paying off that investment now. I’m open to spending the extra on the f2.8 over the f4 if it’s good value (clearly the extra stop of light will be useful when you consider most cycling events I attend start after 6pm and it’s always grey and miserable here in the UK).

I also have a few prime lens - 24 f2.8, 35 f2 and 50 f1.8 - I really enjoy shooting street-style photos of crowds and fans at sports events with either the 35 or the 50 so I’d be reluctant to make these obsolete if buying the 24-70 would do so.

My gut tells me that I don’t need the 24-70 right now, but obviously will when I switch to full frame so should just defer it until then, but I’d appreciate any thoughts on this - many thanks!

Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow