Which Compact Travel Camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
andrewmummery New Member • Posts: 16
Which Compact Travel Camera

Hi.  I realise this is a fairly common question, but having read through a few previous threads I'm not really much closer to making a decision.

I have a Canon 80D with a good selection of lenses for when photography is an important part of a day out, and a Samsung Galaxy Zoom for snapping my kids playing at the beach, but I want something more serious than the Samsung and smaller and lighter than the Canon to carry in a coat pocket or small man-bag for family holiday photography.

I have a preferred budget of around £300, although could stretch to £400 if necessary.

A viewfinder is essential and whilst a long zoom would be nice I'd be willing to live with a 3x or 5x zoom if it meant better image quality and low light performance.  I'd find a fixed lens too restrictive.  Full manual, aperture priority and shutter priority are also essential.  Whilst 4K and good video performance would be a bonus, 1080 is adequate for my needs as I'm more interested in stills than video.

Typical uses will be street, architecture and landscape images and candids of the family.

I'm happy to buy pre-owned if that makes some better options available.  I like the look of the Canon G5X (I've always had a soft spot for Canons) but am conscious that it's a few years old now and technology moves quickly and I'm worried that noise might quickly be an issue at anything other than low ISO values on an older camera.  If I had the money, I think a G5X Mk ii would probably be my choice, but even second-hand they're still above my budget.

What do you all recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

andrewmummery's gear list:andrewmummery's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
Canon EOS 80D Canon PowerShot G5 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow