Daverich04 Regular Member • Posts: 156
Re: Using 2 displays

Nick on the Baltic wrote:

Daverich04 wrote:

Nick on the Baltic wrote:

Daverich04 wrote:

Saint 112 wrote:

. Apple invented the first modern word processor with MacWrite

WordStar was the market leader in 1979, 5 years before MacWrite came out in 1984. WordPerfect took over the leadership of the word processing market in 1985 with the first WYSIWYG word processing software.

1985 Wordperfect was still an MSDOS program. 5.1 was release in 1989. The Windows version wasn't released until 1991. By that time they'd lost out to Word for Windows, first released in 1989.

Not sure what point you’re trying to make. My post questioned the claim that MacWrite was the first modern work processor. Are you claiming it was?

No. Not even sure how you define modern. Back in their day, Wang word processors were 'modern'. I was just correcting your assertion that Wordperfect in 1985 was a WYSIWYG word processor. It wasn't; even 5.1 was character based. It was a good program - I wrote all my documentation, contracts, letter and invoices with it - but it wasn't "the first WYSIWYG word processing software."

“ The 5.1 release from WordPerfect featured a print preview mode showing text without the mark-up code. At the time the print preview mode was referred to as WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get), a quite unique feature at a time that the graphical interface was not yet standard.”

https://www.productevolution.org/2018/02/on-the-origin-of-the-word-processor/#:~:text=On%20the%20origin%20of%20the%20Word%20Processor%201,application%20on%20the%20PC.%20...%20More%20items...%20

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow