Canon and Ricoh patents of SR-related features

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
iso rivolta Contributing Member • Posts: 989
Canon and Ricoh patents of SR-related features

Pentax, and more recently Ricoh GR cameras, have some very unique features related to the use of the shake reduction mechanism. Things like Composition Adjustment, Horizon Correction, Astrotracer, AA Filter simulator and Pixel Shift. I hoped they will succeed in keeping most of these features for themselves as unique advantages. There were recent rumors that some new Canon mirrorless will get an AA filter simulator and that the OMS (Olympus) OM-1will get Astrotracer but both these proved false so far.

Nevertheless, the new Canon R7 launched today has an Auto-levelling function (up to 3 degrees leveling correction) which is actually the same thing as Pentax' Horizon Adjustment used in many recent Pentax DSLRs and in the Ricoh GR III. I wonder what happened? Was the patent protection not tight enough or Ricoh started selling patents or exchanging them with Canon? If so, not a smart move in my opinion...

True, the new Canon APS-C R mount cameras are truly hideous looking things and not direct competition for Pentax DSLRs, but still.

Also, I would like to see more recent innovation from Ricoh in areas that are not related to optical viewfinders. Because that is not always enough of an advantage.

iso rivolta's gear list:iso rivolta's gear list
Pentax K200D Pentax K-3 II Pentax KP +3 more
Ricoh Caplio R7 Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow