Canon R5 with 100-500mm so frustrated with this setup. Any advice?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
LBVandal New Member • Posts: 13
Canon R5 with 100-500mm so frustrated with this setup. Any advice?

I’m coming out of a 7D with the 100-400mm lens which was a workhorse for many years and I was very happy with my setup, but carpel tunnel was nudging me to get lighter gear.  I admit that I thought that this new  setup would not only be lighter, but that it would be a far superior setup, not my experience at all for photographing birds.  I have been using this new setup for about 2 months now and I have been so discouraged about the time it takes to lock on focus, the performance of the animal eye detection and the ISO noise at what I have always thought to be low ISO settings (<800)  From what I have experienced if I am at 500mm every bird is going to be blurred beyond repair, so I see no point in using the lens past 400mm for birds.   Since this is my first mirrorless camera everything is new to me so I really don’t know if I have a problem with the camera, the lens the combination or if my expectations are too high.

Attached  is a photo taken at 500mm with eye detection locked onto the eye of this tree swallow (eye section focus point confirmed on the back screen of my camera.  Shutter speed 1/800 (stationary bird), f/8, ISO 320.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow