Portrait lens for APS-C

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Primeshark New Member • Posts: 5
Portrait lens for APS-C

Hi guys!

I'm currently in the market for a new lens for shooting portraits. Also ideally something budget friendly as I'm only a student from a second world country.

My camera is Canon 250D (Rebel SL3). I already have a Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6. What I'm looking for is a shallow dof, nice oof background, nice bokeh and nice compression. My idea was something like the Sigma 56mm f/1.4 but that's only for the EF-M mount.

The choice is between:

1) A 50mm lens, which is equivalent to 80mm on APS-C. Here I'm unsure about the compression as many people recommend 85mm lenses over the 50mm ones. Also from some example photos I prefer the oof backgrounds from the 85mm lenses. I kinda expect people to recommend me the nifty fifty. I've been considering that one.

2) An 85mm, which is equivalent to 136mm on APS-C. Probably way too much of a zoom-in for practical uses, isn't it? I'm really worried about having to stand across the street to shoot portraits with this. I would have other uses for it (animal photography mostly, possibly macro if it has that capability) but for portraits I'm not sure.

3) Just shoot portraits on my Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6. Definitely the most budget friendly option, but it's gonna be nowhere near as good as a good portrait lens. You really need bright sunlight and higher ISO to make it work. Dof won't get that shallow either.

Thanks in advance

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow