RF-S.... deja vu/fool me twice, shame on me

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,537
RF-S.... deja vu/fool me twice, shame on me

Dont get me wrong, the bodies look great and while being a little expensive have all the right specs

But the two RF-S lenses they launched with tell me everything I need to know about this system. I would not buy into RF-S if the lenses you want aren't in the lineup right now, because between

• Canon's history of crop system lens development (though EF-M was better than people give credit for)
  • The guaranteed smaller user base of RF-S limiting ROI
  • FF RF's overall lens trajectory
  • Canon completely locking down RF from third party companies (no Viltrox, no Sigma, no Tamron, no Samyang to the rescue)

the chances of getting anything beyond these laughably slow kit lenses are slim to none IMO.

These bodies should have been on the EF-M mount, along with 2 enthusiast grade standard zooms (14-80 2.8-4, 15-55 2.8). So now Canon has one crop MILC system with a huge user base and 4-5 pieces of gear from completion that they've given up on, and an all new system with no users, cheap or FF lenses, and questionable future prospects for investment and development.

And while the R7 has the photographic specs of a modern 7D, from what I've seen it's nowhere near as rugged as 7Ds used to be which I imagine will be an issue for wildlife shooters.

What is the point of RF-S?

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F1.8 FE Samyang AF 45mm F1.8 FE
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow