For folks who know history demosaicing and TCA correction.

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
OP jw10 Contributing Member • Posts: 911
Re: For folks who know history demosaicing and TCA correction.

John Sheehy wrote:

jw10 wrote:

Hi all,

I'm in the midst of generating TCA coefs (lensfun poly3 style).

This got me to wondering about raw image demosaicing, and TCA correction.

You seemed to have used the characters to delineate a .sig, as "Q" left only the above.

Dang it!   I use 3 dashes all the time in normal email to delinate a new topic or subtopic.  Too late to edit the post now....

For anyone reading this, unhide what appears to be my signature to read my entire original post.

Anyway, I understand where you're coming from. In 2004 I joined a local photo club, and thought I could discuss such things there, but people looked at me like I had two heads when I started talking about elastic CFAs where the mosaiced image was corrected, and then a broader demosaicing would be applied that would work with non-equal pixel spacing.

After coming up with that possibility, I realized that to fully take advantage of such a scheme, conversion would require output at a much higher pixel resolution than the sensor. Also, demosaicing would be significantly slower, even with no increase in pixel resolution.

Back then, I assumed that we'd have cameras commonly with hundreds of pixels by now, and that would render the special demosaicing unnecessary in current times, however, pixel counts have not increased anywhere near what I expected.

And now we have really fast, multiple CPU chips, and GPU that crunch numbers orders of magnitude faster for these sorts of problems.  Blows my mind how far we've come with compute technology.  And I love it

-- hide signature --

Jeff (aka jw10)

jw10's gear list:jw10's gear list
Canon PowerShot A95 Canon PowerShot S3 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow