Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art worth the upgrade?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DannH Contributing Member • Posts: 574
Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art worth the upgrade?

I've been shooting family shots for a few years now using the Canon 85 1.8 inside and the 135 f2 for outdoor shots. The 85 1.8 is a decent lens, but just doesn't give off the same wow factor I get from the 135 f2 (not sure if its the bokeh, colours, microcontrast or all 3).

Therefore I have started looking at other 85mm options and narrowed it down to the Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art.

Canon RF 85 1.2 - Out of my price range

Canon EF 85 1.4 - More than I would have liked to spend but could revisit this if it offers superior IQ to the sigma (the IS is no advantage to me)

Canon EF 85 1.2 - Has great IQ, but i've heard the AF is slow, so probably not ideal for shooting kids who don't sit still.

For those who have used both the Canon 85 1.8 and Sigma 85 1.4 Art, did you notice a big difference in IQ (colours, CA wide open, sharpness, contrast etc)? i've read in the past that sigma can have a lot of AF issues. Is this still a problem with mirrorless bodies? (Canon R).

Thanks

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow