MFT Lenses For East African Safari

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SaraJen New Member • Posts: 3
MFT Lenses For East African Safari

Greetings everyone! I'm brand new to DPREVIEW and look forward to learning from more experienced MFT shooters!

I'll be taking an East African safari tour (Kenya & Tanzania) in August, 2022 and would appreciate thoughts and recommendations from those who have experience in this region. Here's some background:

> Visits along our Tauck tour: Arusha, Amboseli National Park, Mount Kenya Safari Club, Nairobi, Maasai Mara, Serengeti National Park, Ngorongoro crater and Lake Manyara National Park. All tours will be using 4 wheel drive vehicles

> I've been shooting with a G9 for 3 years but pretty casually.. now working on improving my skills

Not knowing the range of distances that wildlife will appear, I've been considering using my Panasonic 50-200 with tc1.4 for telephoto and a combination of my Panasonic 12-60 f2.8 and Panasonic35-100 f2.8 for medium to closer opportunities. I also plan on taking my Panasonic 8-19 for wide angle.

I plan on picking up a second G9 body.

Now.. questions:

> I've read very good reviews on the Zuiko12-100 pro. Do you think that I'd be better off not taking the 12-60 and/or the 35-100 and just picking up the Zuiko12-100 for mid to close shots and avoid lens changes to the extent possible?

> Could someone also confirm that the Zuiko 12-100 Pro works well with the G9 - other than being able to use ONLY lens stabilization (as IBIS is not available with this combination?  Any other limitation I should be aware of?

> I've also read positive reviews about the Panasonic 100-400. From what I'm understanding, it's not as good as the 50-200 (IQ-wise) but obviously the extended reach plays a role in the decision. Budget aside, do you think that the 50-200 with tc1.4 will be sufficient for 90+% of the opportunities or would there be material value in having the Panasonic 100-400 (understanding any trade-offs in reach vs. IQ vs. weight)

Thanks in advance to those who have been to this region and shot with the above kind of gear...

SaraJen's gear list:SaraJen's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +2 more
Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow