Old scanners / new cameras

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Overrank
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 4,290
Old scanners / new cameras

I see quite a few post which say things like “there used to be good scanners like the Super CoolScan 5000 ED or the Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II but if I was scanning my negatives now I’d use a digital camera and a macro lens” (tbh these are less in the Film Forum, more elsewhere on DPR).  So a quick question - if there were new scanners that were *the same* as the Coolscan or DiMAGE, but with warranty, support etc, would you choose them over using a digital camera ?

Im really only talking 35mm here - smaller than 35mm and I can see lots of resolution advantages using a camera over a scanner, much  bigger than 35mm and scanners start to have significant advantages. I’m also interested in the whole process - from negative to finished digital image, rather than “I can capture 10,000 negatives in half an hour with a digital camera (but it’s going to take me three years to spot the dust off them:-) )”

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow