Nikon DSLR to Sony Mirrorless - Wildlife Photography

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Wild Whitmore
Wild Whitmore Forum Member • Posts: 98
Nikon DSLR to Sony Mirrorless - Wildlife Photography

Hi everyone, looking for some advice.

I have a Nikon D7200, my longest lens is Sigma 150-600C. I've been eyeing up the Sony A7R III for a while with the 200-600 but is currently out of my budget. My Wife is starting to get into photography alongside me and we are constantly swapping the camera with each other so eventually, we will probably want our own cameras.

I've priced up trading all my gear in and would get about £1000 for it all, not much in the grand scheme of things, but would enable me to purchase the Sony A6400, which is probably the body I'd buy for my wife anyway. Then its just a case of buying the 200-600.

The main thing I've got a gripe with on my Nikon is the noise control is quite poor once you go past ISO3200 it doesn't cope well with low-light so limits me to clear weather photography & also not having a tilting screen. I've read amazing things about the Animal Eye AF on Sony's so that is why I'm looking at Sony bodies, I know that Canon mirrorless bodies have it but they're more pricey.

Eventually, I'd get the 70-200 too at which point I'd be saving up to get an A7R III or updated version at that time meaning my Wife would have a full set-up at the same time.

Is the Sony A6400 a good enough step sideways from the D7200 in terms of performance out in the field? Obviously, I've been on CameraDecision.com to get all the spec differences but if anyone who has used one or both could share their experience with them it would be great.

TIA

-- hide signature --

Time in Nature is Never Wasted

Wild Whitmore's gear list:Wild Whitmore's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C
Nikon D7200 Sony a7R IIIA
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow