Chucky's Back, Painted Bunting, Roseate Spoonbill, Hawks (5/22/22)

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 34,877
Chucky's Back, Painted Bunting, Roseate Spoonbill, Hawks (5/22/22)

Picking up where my last post left off, this time I'm wrapping up the rest of the shots from 1/29/22 , and then on to the following day, 1/30 with some additional shots.  This is a colorful post, with the lovely painted buntings facing off against the bright pink roseate spoonbills, and a common yellowthroat trying to show off his yellows.  Also, a return of the hawks who scrapped over the least bittern in my last post, this time just goofing around and courting each other...and another return from a few threads back - the odd looking chuck-will's widow back again for a second showing.

All shots taken with the A6600 and FE 200-600mm G OSS combo, and all are posted at 1800 pixels on the long side if you view them in original size:

The subtle but pretty female painted bunting, in her shades of green  - as usual, hiding in the shadows and requiring ISO 6400

The much bolder and more colorful male painted bunting - also in the shade, but with those colors popping, he's almost like a lightbulb in the forest - this taken at ISO 4,000

Another female bunting perched on a tree nearby, at ISO 4,000

Another colorful swamp denizen - this one probably one of the more misidentified birds in Florida.  Many tourists and first time visitors see a pink bird, and immediately call it a flamingo.  But it's our roseate spoonbill. This one was a juvenile and didn't have the full color going yet

This roseate spoonbill, standing near the water's edge, had the full color display going

Not just the pinks, and the deep pink to red feathers, but the hot pink legs, the yellow around the bill, and the light-blue to aqua head, with the red eyes mixed in...the roseate spoonbill is definitely one of the more colorful birds in our wetlands

In the distance, I spotted one of the red-shouldered hawks flying right against the sun - I liked the washed-out sun effect and glow that shooting towards the sun gave the shot

The partner flew out to meet the approaching hawk, and the two circled around in the sky, doing some grasping of talons and mock fighting - all just foreplay as these two were definitely a couple and had started to build their nest already

Catching that late afternoon sun, this distant eastern phoebe perched on a thin branch of a pond apple tree and sang out over the wetlands

Also active nearby were the purple martins, diving out over the open waters to catch bugs as the sun started to set

Another purple martin in flight shot to wrap up that day

January 30 started out with the vividly colored common yellowthroat male, with his bandit masked face

A dragonfly perched on a plant

And wouldn't you know it - a week after spotting two chuck-will's-widows in the cypress forest, I again found at least one of the chuck-will's-widows, about 20 feet from the first spot...trying to sleep out the day

A bird this odd deserves at least a few shots - though it wasn't doing any action - it didn't budge the entire time I watched it!

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed and encouraged always!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +21 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow