Nikon 800mm PF - Great for wildlife and more

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ericbowles
ericbowles Senior Member • Posts: 1,825
Nikon 800mm PF - Great for wildlife and more

I've had the 800mm PF for about two weeks.  I'm using it on a Z7ii.

Overall this is an excellent lens.  The weight is around 5.5 pounds - about the same as the 200-500 f/5.6 but better balanced.  It's what you would expect and more - the latest technology, relatively fast focusing, great image quality, the latest VR, etc.

There are a few changes from earlier long lenses and zooms.  The hood is a one piece with a release latch, and it takes some getting used to.  Once you learn to use it, it's a nice design and works well.  The lens takes 46mm drop in filters and while you may not need filters, it provides an option.  The 46mm size does match some of Nikon's newer  lenses, so it is useful, but the CP holder is an expensive accessory.

My testing with this lens was mainly wildlife.  Here are a few sample photos.

Western Meadowlark singing - Badlands NP - Nikon Z7ii and 800mm PF

Juvenile mountain goat  - Badlands NP - Nikon Z7ii and 800mm PF - This young goat and it's mother were so comfortable with the space I gave them that they kept approaching and getting closer.  The challenge was having the entire head in the frame without clipping.

Badlands NP - Mountain goat - Nikon Z7ii with 800mm PF

Custer State Park - Bison calf with it's mother - Nikon Z7ii and 800mm PF

Pronghorn in Custer State Park - Z7ii and 800mm PF

Lunar eclipse nearing totality - Z7ii with 800mm PF and Nikon Z 1.4 teleconverter

Overall - this is a terrific lens and will be a staple for my wildlife photography.  The light weight and great optical performance combined with this long focal length makes it a must have for wildlife photographers.

-- hide signature --
 ericbowles's gear list:ericbowles's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +26 more
Nikon Nikkor Z 800mm F6.3 VR S
Prime lens • Nikon Z
Announced: Apr 6, 2022
ericbowles's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow