Dxo PL5 raw example(s) and other musings.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
And-roid
And-roid Senior Member • Posts: 2,416
Dxo PL5 raw example(s) and other musings.

I've been using Dxo PL5 for a good few months now but finally had the chance to try it out properly after a mini break in Somerset. Just hand-held random walks with the family where I grabbed some shots with the X-T4 to process later

I am particularly very fond of Dxo PL5, in fact I'd go as far as saying I probably would have stuck with Sony A7IV or Canon R5 if they hadn't introduced x-trans support. I can finally put aside any FF desire and hopefully with the X-H2s we have something comparable in the af tracking stakes too, although in all honesty I find Fuji af the best all-round af performance currently on any ILC, while R5/A7IV make tracking birds and wildlife easier that doesn't necessarily mean they are exclusively that far ahead overall in the af stakes imo, even for fast action!

Anyway, someone recently asked about processing Olympus raw, something I have some experience with too. But for me Fuji files do offer another level of robustness akin to FF, in fact they are definitely equal or better and I spent quite some time comparing the A7IV with the X-S10 with little to no meaningful difference apart from lenses and the usual preference for Fuji color (from raw).

As a competent duo I'd take X-T4/X-S10 with 16-80 every day of the week over any FF wal about-landscape options, eg 24-105.4. As well as being super compact and the wonderful aperture ring it just seems to have contrast and character, combined with PL5 and Fuji raw it just seems to do it for me, outdoor/indoor its locked to my camera for most walkabout.

Anyway enough, here's two examples with 16-80 in sort of landscape-walkabout use, have included the raw's if you want to post/share alternative processing for consideration to others. I also have Lr/C1 too if anyone wants to see any further examples and Lr works well with PL5 as a plug-in too if you need to export dng's back into Lr.

ooc jpg, auto dr nr -4, everything else default

PL5

ooc jpg, auto dr, nr-4, everything default

PL5

original raw's, lossless compressed and jpg's

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/e00f7e2a1613d897b00117dc09ff027320220522143940/4dbcefae53461d0630af175cac64373420220522144009/8e5a1c

And-roid's gear list:And-roid's gear list
Sony a7 IV Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 Tamron 150-500mm F5-6.7 Di III VC VXD Sigma 16-28mm F2.8 +1 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow