Next Step, Macro or Wildlife?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gursharan-info Forum Member • Posts: 61
Next Step, Macro or Wildlife?

After having all the discussions in Thread 1 and Thread 2, I have taken the plunge and bought an E-M1.2 with 12-40 Pro. For travel, I am getting the Panasonic 14-140 tomorrow, available for $230 used. I have not tinkered much with it, but I've loved the limited clicks done using the camera so far.

My campus corridor with Pop Art filter

My first try with the live composite view.

I am getting a feeling that I will use live-composite more often.

Now the question and my dilemma is that apart from the general wide-angle and mid-tele-zoom for travel, which direction should I go next? Here are some bird shots with my A100 and Minolta 70-300 and Sigma 70-300 APO around 6 years ago. Pardon the color rendition, I've over-processed the images as I had a dull DELL monitor back then. I realized this only after getting a MacBook and a BENQ professional monitor.

This guy picked a cookie from our open garden tea party

In my area, or even on my trip to sanctuaries, I have always found A100 and Minolta 70-300 limited in focus speed and reach. The Sigma APO was used with manual focus (A100 screw drive broke its plastic gear ) and gave me more keepers. I always struggled to get better keepers of birds and other animals as compared to my peers and fellow travelers. Maybe I needed to practice more.

On the other hand, macro photography is like a fascination and unchartered territory for me. Now it seems possible with my camera, so it is intriguing for me. In fact, it is one of the factors for choosing the EM1.2 camera as I hoped to explore this in near future.

So which direction would be better to go considering the fact I currently have a budget only for one. I can spare around $1000 which will get me either one of these:

• Olympus 60mm Macro + TTL Flash / Twin Flash + Softbox / diffuser
  • Olympus 75-300mm II (Costs $800 new here) or PL 100-300mm ( $50 cheaper than Olympus, but seems to be off the market now or some shortage, cannot find one new or used in India yet). I can also wait a couple of months and directly buy the Oly 100-400 if I get to a proper decision.

Weird question from a weird guy.

gursharan-info's gear list:gursharan-info's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II +3 more
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow