Still not getting the most out of my Olympus 100-400

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Yannis1976
Yannis1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,609
Still not getting the most out of my Olympus 100-400

I have been trying to learn this lens, but find it quite hard to get consistent and good results.

When at strong light, I need to reduce exposure considerably and be aware of the conditions around to avoid unrecoverable highlights or halos. This is one of my best CAF photos so far with the lens:

However, a strange thing I am still battling with, is that In CAF the EM1.3+100-400 seems to work better than in SAF!!

When I am trying to capture birds at trees, I usually don't exactly focus in the eyes and various halos appear:

Eyes are in focus, but look at the shadows or halos around the bird's head and body

The bad highlights are my own mistake during the DXO pp

And here are the latest:

I acknowledge this is a difficult bird being black and in shadows, but had a really hard time getting the eyes on focus (did some manual adjustment while shooting)

And here is the same bird captures with the Fuji 70-300 and the 2XTC. Sharpness is expected to be worse due to the 2XtC, but SAF was spot on the eyes.

Any suggestion on SAF with the EM1.3 and 100-400 is welcome!

Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow