DSLR stuff great value

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ad12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,470
DSLR stuff great value

Hello

I had a 800d, first ILC, needed to upgrade the VF, AF, etc. I went to Fujifilm as the mirrorless advantages appealed to me and frankly Canon did not offer anything I wanted, too much product compromise and compartmenting.

Fuji did not work out for me after 2 years I switched to Nikon. Grabbed a used, mint Z6 for £900 (sadly prices rocketed now but mine was good value!). I adore the camera, it's so so so good. Very happy with my Nikon decision.

However, I struggled lenses due to my budget and interest, i.e. birding is about 75% of what I shoot. So I got an FTZ and sigma 150-600C and 100-400C. Not perfect lenses by any stretch, good images, but consistency issues sometimes, but - the price to performance ratio is so good. I struggled with BiF on smaller fast birds and a Z9 was not affordable. So I took a plunge on a used D500....

I told myself I did not like DSLRs (having only owned a cheap one before), and that it wasn't worth spending on a gradually discontinued mount. However, the D500 turned out to be awesome!

It has made me realise how great value DSLRs are now. The D500 was the king for so long, and I got a used one on low shutter count for £1000...not cheap, but for the performance/price ratio, a bargain.

It opened my eyes a little. On DPR the DSLR is dead comments are widespread and frankly I did buy in to that. However, I can't help but be amazed now what great value the used market offers. I'm looking for macro lenses now, but even if I expand to a more high quality tele, the 500PF used is SO much cheaper than Z glass. The used F mount market is insanely good for the price you pay, and the output very useable.

Is anyone else looking at the mirrorless shift as both wonderful (I love mirrorless a lot), but also, with a view to achieve some wonderful images for cheaper than ever before with "older" tech?

Ad12's gear list:Ad12's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
Canon EOS Rebel T7i / EOS 800D / Kiss X9i Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rsn
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow