GPS tracking app for iOS

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MtnBikerCalif Regular Member • Posts: 253
GPS tracking app for iOS

I want to have an on all the time GPS tracking app to use to find the locations of my photos. Any recommendations?

Requirements:

• Not too hard on the battery
  • Creates an easily or automatically downloadable .gpx file. Best would be something like a daily track export, but must function when can't export while off the grid or on a trip. Could be mailed although it's been a hassle to make sure the file gets transferred to the right file. Mail Rules seems to falter.
  • Must continue to track, preferably even through iPhone reboots.
  • Export is to macOS

I've been doing this for years and have scripts to write the location to my photo files. I've been using Motion X for years and it has worked pretty well, although it would quit tracking at times. The reason I'm thinking of switching is that I just got a 13 Pro and found out Motion X has gone into retirement. I could continue to use it, but thinking it may be time to move on beyond abandonware.

I've had the phone less than a week and have had Gaia running and seems to work. Just checked and Gaia has been using 55% of the battery in the last 24 hrs and 31% since I got the phone (didn't have Gaia doing this right away). Obviously 55% is heavy and I'd like to save Gaia use for specific activities.

Both Gaia and Motion X require multiple steps to save and export the track to my computer. For both I start tracking and then periodically (days to weeks), I stop the track, save it, rename it (2020.04.15-05.04 for example, but anything close would be fine), export it (lately using AirDrop), restart tracking (if I remember which I "usually" do). And then on the computer move it to a specific folder where the script knows to find it.

Summary: easy to use, low battery hit, location tracking with easy export. As I write this, I'm reminded that Shortcuts has come a long way and can maybe help me.

MtnBikerCalif's gear list:MtnBikerCalif's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow