Whack-a-mole style BIF shooting with the OM-1

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Forum Pro • Posts: 10,886
Whack-a-mole style BIF shooting with the OM-1

Just for fun I've spent several hours sat in the garden shooting BIF (and anything else in flight) using the OM-1 + 40-150 f4 pro hand-held.

There was only one rule of the game, if it appeared in the sky over the garden I had to try to grab a shot, using CAF + tracking, 1/3200th sec shutter, auto-iso all focus points active with Bird AI enabled, typically +1.3 exposure compensation, Pro cap SH2 set

(Whack-a-mole because the little devils were coming at me from all angles and differing heights and my focus times were typical less than a second from first view to gone)

First thoughts, before any pics:

- battery life is phenomenal, shooting short burst sequences I got in excess of 5k shots and the battery was still at 34% charge

- this lens / body combo is ideal for me in my poor state of health, I'm sore now but felt little strain during the shooting sessions

- its probably the camera that gives me the most confidence for this type of "grab shooting", including canon R6, M6mk2, Sony RX10 mk4, Oly 1X and 1mk3, to name a few

- if I could frame the bird(s) I was pretty confident of getting at least a few sharp and usable shots (very few cases where the subject started out of focus and stayed that way)

- its the most fun compo I've think I've ever shot with

Off to plough through far too many pics now, I may share a few laterĀ 

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro +1 more
Canon EOS R6 Olympus Stylus SH-2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow