Front Focusing

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jazz2 New Member • Posts: 6
Front Focusing

Hi,

Complete novice here that recently bought an RX100 IV. I took a few 'test' pictures and noticed that the area just in front of the object I focused on is clearer. From what I understand, mirrorless cameras such as these shouldn't have the typical focusing issues sometimes found in DSLRs, so not entirely sure if this is user error or an actual fault. I actually ordered a replacement (same model) and that too is exhibiting the same behaviour.

I’m using a tripod, at various focal lengths. Aperture wide open and also at 2.0 and 2.8. ISO 100-125. Here are my setting (I’m in Aperture mode):

I'm first centring the image:

Then focusing by pressing the shutter gently, before finally pressing the shutter all the way down:

I've taken dozens of pictures in a conservatory - so I have plenty of light. Here is the end product:

Camera 1 - f/2.8; 1/100s; ISO 125; 25.70mm:

Camera 1 - f/2.0; 1/200s; ISO 100; 8.8mm:

Camera 2 - f/2.8; 1/80s; ISO 125; 18.30mm:

As I said, I'm a complete novice, so appreciate that I may be missing something glaringly obvious. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sony RX100 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow