The NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MichaelPhotographer
MichaelPhotographer Junior Member • Posts: 29
The NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR

UPDATE on the NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR?

Recently I talked to a Nikon rep who unofficially stated that he
believes serial numbers beginning from 2166XXX have resolved the
issue with the loosening screw that may result in the zoom getting stuck issue.
Also the assembly line beginning from 2166XXX have been renewed (whatever that means).

Myself I haven't shot or owned a 200-500 for some years now and I can recall a few years back that my old 200-500 was having the stuck zoom issue. Also it did seem a bit slow to focus and track action at times. Back then the lens had a serial number of 2019XXX, so there has been quite a few more lenses in production since those days.

Recently I got a hold of a 200-500 with the serial number of 2166XXX which seems to be from the newer assembly line.

So far I'm pretty impressed and as far as I can tell the lens now tracks action better and focuses faster compared to the older lens I used years ago. Pretty sharp wide open at 500mm too.

Anybody have a similar experience?

I'll attach a series of SOOC Jpegs just for illustrative purposes, of a woman riding a bicycle pretty fast. All shots tack sharp shot at 12FPS Group Area AF.

Might add the 200-500 back to my arsenal again!  Using the 500mm PF / 600mm F4 but sometimes a mobile zoom can be very handy.

MichaelPhotographer's gear list:MichaelPhotographer's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D4S Nikon D810 +13 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow