Best combo for family & golf photography?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
alexjlee101 New Member • Posts: 14
Best combo for family & golf photography?

Hi all,

I'm new to DPReview. Think I'm posting in the correct place, but lmk if there's a better spot for my topic.

Background

I currently have an a7c with Sigma 24-70 & Sony 90mm 2.8. The current setup has been great and I've had a good experience with everything (except the grip). I normally shoot at family/friends gatherings, but recently have been shooting golf stuff. I have no complaints about the 10fps - I was pretty happy with results from a recent golf tourney I shot, but I know the A9 is best in the speed category.

Even though I've enjoyed the a7c, I've been thinking about selling it (keeping current lenses) and buying one of the below combo's. Is there a combo that would be good for both fam/golf photos? I don't mind keeping the a7c, but definitely interested in the A9 AF/FPS and the A7Riii 42MP.

Options

• Keep the a7c + buy original Sony 70-200 2.8
  • Keep the a7c + buy Tamron 70-180 2.8
  • Buy A9 + buy Sony or Tamron
  • Buy A7Riii + buy Sony or Tamron

I'm leaning towards the a7c + original Sony 70-200 2.8 or the A9 + Tamron 70-180.

Questions

Can the newer tech/AF in the a7c keep up with the original A9?

Is the original 70-200 f2.8 worth it if I can get it for a decent price or should I just get the Tamron 70-180 f.28?

Do I really need the A9 if I only shoot a few golf events a year?

Can the A9/A7Riii be a daily camera even though they're built for specific situations/occasions?

Appreciate any input/feedback.

Thanks!

alexjlee101's gear list:alexjlee101's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a9 Sony a7C Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN
Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony a7C Sony a7R III Sony a9 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow