Do you keep your scanned negatives?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JoshuaR Regular Member • Posts: 463
Do you keep your scanned negatives?

I've been carefully archiving my negatives in sleeves. But increasingly I'm asking: Why?

I'm a hobbyist, not a professional. I develop and scan myself at home. My scans are really high quality, or at least high-quality enough for me. I don't have a darkroom, and so don't print from negatives. Even if I built one, I doubt I'd do any color printing at home.

I feel good about my digital backup systems. I also have physical copies of many pictures in the form of prints and books. So I'm not really thinking of my negatives as an archive or backstop. If the proverbial fire broke out, I'd probably reach for my SSD drive before I'd grab binders full of sleeved negatives. I like the physicality of film, but I could see being happy with having only a digital record of the physical process.

All this makes me think that my life would be simpler if I just tossed the negatives. But it feels weird to throw them in the trash.

Has anyone else out there decided to stop archiving their negatives and just kept scanned copies?

JoshuaR's gear list:JoshuaR's gear list
Ricoh GR III Leica Q2 +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow