G9/GH5M2 EVF 120Hz Mode How does it work for you?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Interceptor121 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,607
G9/GH5M2 EVF 120Hz Mode How does it work for you?

I have been digging into the OLED specs after the OM-1 EVF complaints

The displays in the panasonic cameras have a native progressive mode of 60Hz and an option for 120Hz in line doubling (pseudo interlaced) and MALS (motion-based alternative light signal)

The MALS mode gives a better resolution than line doubling according to Sony. You cannot choose this on the camera so not sure what to say about that.

When I look at the refresh rate 120Hz has the primary benefit of making the frames available quicker and therefore cutting you display lag from 16.7 to 8.3ms but it then outputs 1280x480 frames

Looking at a static subject and under high quality illumination (sorry I don't have cheap lights when I work/live) I can say that this MALS method works as I can't detect resolution drops. I also do not find any basis for the claims the G9 would drop resolution after giving it a second look although has this magnifier on top that creates distortion compared to the GH5M2.

So I am not sure of what to make about the claims that the 120Hz mode is awful to look at. I admit I do not use it very often as my subjects do not require it however I would like to hear from other users their experiences as it is possible that some of the units out there are different from others somehow?

Interceptor121's gear list:Interceptor121's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GH6 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +15 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 II (Lumix DC-GH5M2)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow