Panasonic Lumix AE/AF Lock (DMC-GM5)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MJB-76
MJB-76 Junior Member • Posts: 48
Panasonic Lumix AE/AF Lock (DMC-GM5)

I just picked up a GM5.  It's the silver and green version, so the menus are all in Japanese, but I've gone through the English manual and the camera's menus (with a little help from the Google Translate app), and I've mostly deciphered everything.

One thing I can't figure out is the AE/AF Lock.  The manual says it can only be assigned to the Fn1 or Fn2 buttons, which if true is going to be a huge bummer.  I never back button focus, and I think it would be especially annoying on a camera as diminutive as the GM5.  Since the 1990s, I have been spot metering and using a half-press of the shutter to activate AE/AF Lock, and since that time I have never come across a camera that didn't allow operation this way.  Please someone tell me that the GM5 can be set up this way, because it's going to be sort of useless to me if not.

I mean, I guess I'm not so old that I can't learn a new trick, but like I said, the GM5 is small and fiddly and it's tough to mess with back buttons when I'm looking through the EVF.  Especially since I'm left eye dominant, so my face is literally pressed up against the back of the camera while shooting, further complicating button access.

MJB-76's gear list:MJB-76's gear list
Leica C Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Fujifilm X-E3 Leica CL Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 +17 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow