What's the longest RAW video a M6 ii can shoot via Raw Burst Mode?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Radiating New Member • Posts: 2
What's the longest RAW video a M6 ii can shoot via Raw Burst Mode?

Long time photographer, first time poster here.

The Canon M6 Mark ii is listed as having a Raw Burst Mode. I've been doing a bunch of research on this, and it seems you can use it for raw video, in Canon RAW format (.cr3)!

Here's a fantastic example of it working: Canon M6 Mk. ii Raw Burst Video

Based on what I've read,you get 30 fps, and according to Rudy Winston of Canon USA, you could shoot at least 80 frames with a fast enough card in 2019. source

According to DPReview user JWAR1976 in this post, they've successfully been able to shoot 400 frames in a Raw Burst:

I just wanted to add that with my 64 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 300r/260w UHS-II card I've gotten single bursts of over 400 frames. It is largely dependent on scene composition.

Does this mean that there's no cap on raw burst length, except memory card write speed? I assume by "scene composition" this means some darker and lower bandwidth scenes.

2 minutes and 40 seconds of video (80 frames) is plenty for some film styles, but it seems you can get closer to 5 full minutes as of today at an absolute minimum with a good V90 card (150 frames). This is just doing the math.

If you're not aware, this is a big deal for video. There's nothing you can buy that will beat 30 fps 5.1K 12-bit video for less than the price of a decent automobile.

Can anyone confirm what the typical max-length of a Raw Burst is on the M6 Mark ii? Is it closer to the calculated lower bound of 5 minutes? Is it closer to the above record of 13 minutes?

Thank you.

Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow