The humble RF 100-400 f/5.6-f/8.0 comes through

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
David Franklin Senior Member • Posts: 1,650
The humble RF 100-400 f/5.6-f/8.0 comes through

Well, the last couple of days I have been working on a very high pressure and high output corporate conference job, shooting a wide variety of types of subject matter. In the past, one of the lenses I used for maybe 15% of the shots in similar conference jobs was the great EF 100-400 L II. A truly wonderful piece of glass, but one I ditched a couple of years ago when I started to change over to my current RF system. I didn't want to go for the RF100-500 for reasons of price, size, weight and, for my type of work, low return on a very expensive investment.

So, I decided to try out the new but slow, inexpensive, non-L, "granny glass" RF 100-400 on a very real and tough job. I had read much about it not being that sharp, being too slow to be useful except in very brightly lit environments, not up to "L" standards, etc.

Well some of that may be true, but, in the real world my new 100-400 just killed the job. Along with the excellent high ISO performance of my R5 and the really good IS in the lens, I was able to carry this much smaller and lighter lens in my bag, along with three other RF's (the so-called "holy trinity"), throughout the long and arduous 12 hour days on this job.

The new lens was just fantastic. The shots all look great, from 100 to 400, all wide open. Maybe, some other lens, like the RF100-500 would have yielded some extremely slight image quality advantages,  but my shots with my 100-400 look too good to care about it. The biggest challenge was holding my old body in a stable position to keep the camera steady at those 300-400 focal lengths.

This lens is truly a great bargain. Don't hesitate to use this lens professionally; it isn't as solid as a Thor's hammer, but if you use any reasonable care, this lens can deliver great pictures.

-- hide signature --

Keep learning; share knowledge; think seriously about outcomes; seek wisdom.

David Franklin's gear list:David Franklin's gear list
Canon EOS R5
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow