Camera Malfunction

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bob in Baltimore
Bob in Baltimore Senior Member • Posts: 1,151
Camera Malfunction

I was shooting some pictures at an indoor meeting when my D850 started to behave erratically. I was using my Nikon 24-70 mm lens. I was shooting at ISO 1600, aperture priority at f/4. Typical exposures were 1/180 second.

About 10 of the 120 images I shot were at ridiculously short shutter speeds - 1/6000 to 1/2000. For these failed images the EXIF data fails to report any aperture value and it fails to report the 1-stop offset I had set manually. All other images have normal looking EXIF data. On the other hand, the selected focal spot data was successfully transmitted. And yet, the AF offset seems to have defaulted to 0 for the bad images.

Examination of the EXIF data shows numerous other items missing or wrong in the underexposed images. But most are directly related to the exposure information. and the lens properties. My working conclusion is that the camera and lens connection was intermittent. It is also possible that there is an intermittent problem with either the lens or the camera body.

I shot 250 images just now using the same settings. All images were properly exposed. That is to say, I was not able to reproduce the problem.

Has anybody experienced anything like this? Before I take the camera to my dealer, I'd like to know what others have learned.

Thanx.

-- hide signature --

Bob in Baltimore

Bob in Baltimore's gear list:Bob in Baltimore's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +1 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow