Sigma 150-600C inconsistency?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Ad12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,470
Sigma 150-600C inconsistency?

Hi there

my second copy of this lens is very sharp compared to the first at 600mm I feel. I got some terrific shots. I used it on Z6, and recently a d500. It works well…mostly.

I find that it can be a touch inconsistent. I know techniques important, but even in a burst on a stationary subject, sometimes not all shots are crisp. I shoot bursts so I always get one. I saw a YouTube video about some guy testing it on a 90d talking about focus pulsing and things like that.

what are your guys experiences? I intend to keep using it, just curious.
I also wonder about the OS. The tamron 100-400 I had was obviously much lighter and shorter, but I had so much confidence in the VC. I don’t feel too confident with this sigma, hence why I do bursts.

im also curious about peoples experience with shutter speed. I think I’m starting to believe that with OS engaged I should not exceed 1/800th second, as recently I shot some stationary bird shots with OS on at 1/4000th and it wasn’t sharp..I wonder if OS and high SS is a bad mix? The issue is, OS helps me compose.

I’ve recently started using a monopod which I am hoping will help. I think a monopod still requires OS at lower speeds. At higher speeds for stationary objects, the monopod should remove the need for OS. FYI the reason I sometimes shoot high shutter speeds for stationary birds is that 1, it’s summer almost so no penalty sometimes, and 2, it lets me capture any sudden flight or action as they jump to flight.

any thoughts appreciated.

sorry- I had two tabs open and started in the wrong oneā€¦..this should be the lens thread or DX one.

Ad12's gear list:Ad12's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow