Shutter shock: when does it matter?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BarelyAmateur Regular Member • Posts: 323
Shutter shock: when does it matter?

So, I got curious about the EFCS/shutter shock issue, because I noticed that my bokeh was getting chopped in some of my outdoor daytime shots. I was curious how much I'd pay in terms of detail in order to be using the mechanical shutter full time. (I simply cannot be bothered to switch back and forth between them regularly.)

I went through all the forum posts and read about MTF and shutter shock and EFCS. I downloaded MTF mapper and tested my longest lens. With that lens (~85mm) at 1/60, I get:

• .3 cycles per pixel with EFCS
  • .25 cycles per pixel with mechanical shutter

In landscape, I have 4k vertical pixels, so I get a total of 1200 cy/ph with EFCS vs 1000 cy/ph with mechanical shutter.

Now, the question I'm trying to answer to myself is "do I care"? And I think the answer is no? Suppose I have an infinite resolution monitor/very good print, about the size of my 27" monitor. Just for example, a 27" monitor is 17 inches high. If your monitor is 2ft away from you it occupies about 27deg, or 1620 arc minutes of your field of view. The human eye can perceive one line-pair in .6 arc minutes, which means on an infinite resolution monitor at 2ft I could theoretically resolve something like 2700 line pairs. This is more than double the sensitivity of my camera even on a tripod with EFCS. It's also quite a bit better than the best render resolution of my monitor.

That being said, I am a little skeptical that I could actually perceive a difference on a full color image, unless I was pixel peeping to an absurd degree. Even with zooming into 100% and scrunching my face right up against the screen, I can't really tell which image is which between an average cy/px of 0.3 vs 0.25 (using the angled lens sharpness test chart).

Given that I can't really perceive a difference between mech vs. efcs up to the maximum detail level my camera is capable of, is there any reason not to default to mechanical shutter and just turn on EFCS on the rare occasion where I'm using a slow shutter speed with a tripod?

BarelyAmateur's gear list:BarelyAmateur's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Sony a6600 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony FE 28mm F2 Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow