AF fine tuning

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Janer_2
Janer_2 Regular Member • Posts: 307
AF fine tuning

I've never seen the need to fine tune any of my lenses, lately after getting several second hand ones I've been unsure and started testing them more to see if it's actually needed or not.

During this a question popped up in my head. If the lens is front or back focusing would the little dot show up in my viewfinder to confirm focus?

I'm guessing the answer is yes since the camera obviously isn't intelligent enough to tell me if an eye actually is in focus or not if there's minor adjustments needed. I suppose the camera will confirm focus since it is already defined where (read distance) focus is supposed to be at the various distances available to focus on (say; 0.5m to infinity). But still figured it would be good to know for sure.

Also, if focus is a bit off, would that be less noticeable at infinity or could it actually miss focus there as well? What I mean is, is the front/back focusing the same at 1m and at infinity?

Janer_2's gear list:Janer_2's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +50 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow