How to turn off monitor when streaming via HDMI (RX100 V)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Florent-H New Member • Posts: 4
How to turn off monitor when streaming via HDMI (RX100 V)

I use my Sony DSC-RX100 V as a webcam. To help prevent overheating of my RX100, which could fry the sensor, I would like to know if there's a way to completely turn off the monitor on the camera—not just display black pixels but no backlight at all.

I've tried two methods, but all have their drawbacks:

1. Menu - Brief case - Page 3 - HDMI Settings - HDMI Info. Display -> ON

This setting shuts off the camera monitor; however, there is an overlay of shutter speed, aperture and ISO on the computer monitor, which I haven't been able to hide.

2. Menu - Gear - Page 4 - FINDER/MONITOR -> Viewfinder (Manual)

This setting shuts off the monitor when I pop up the viewfinder; however, the eye proximity sensor is disabled in this mode and the EVF is always on. I think that the EVF being always on as opposed to the monitor being always on should cause less overheating, but this solution is still not ideal.

Thank you to anyone who has a solution for me!

P.S: I already use a DC coupler between an AC wall socket and the DC connections in the RX100 battery compartment, which does help with overheating.

Sony RX100 Sony RX100 V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow