My thoughts on lenses used on my last trip

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Siralgovia Regular Member • Posts: 103
My thoughts on lenses used on my last trip

Just a quick report on the lenses I used on my last trip and my thoughts after looking at the images.

Finally my girlfriend and I went on a trip together outside our local region, the first time after Covid hit a couple of years ago. I had gone to Germany and Spain to see my family but always traveled light and either took my Samsung NX kit or my G9 with only two lenses.

But this time I took my G9 with the PL 12-60, the weather-resistant version of the 14-140, the PL 15 1.7 and my Oly 12 2.0 with Ricoh GW-6 wide angle adapter.

We went to L. A. to visit family but also sneaked in 2 days on Catalina Island and 2 days in Death Valley. So lots of amazing photo opportunities.

I just looked at my pictures last night and don't have anything ready to post yet, but after reviewing them I will be selling two of the lenses I used. I don't need all four and I'm saving for the Panasonic 100-400. This isn't about pixel peeping, just a quick report. I haven't used all these lenses at the same time before, shooting the same scene at times, so it was interesting to see how they compare. I know they have very different focal lengths, but I'm looking at the overall feel of the pictures. All of them do have outstanding IQ.

To me, the most 'natural' looking images (all jpegs for now, I rarely develop from Raw even though I always shoot Raw and jpeg) came from my 14-140, hands down.

To me the rendering is closest to what I saw with my own eyes. I love this lens, in fact, this is the lens that will probably live on my G9 90% of the time.

My second favorite lens on this trip was the Oly 12 2.0, with and without the Ricoh adapter. The adapter turns the 24mm vof to roughly 19mm. There's something special in the Oly's rendering. I can't put my finger on it. It doesn't render as 'realistically' as the 14-140 to me but it adds a certain character I really enjoy.

I will be selling both the PL 12-60 and the 15 1.7. They are both wonderful lenses, but I just prefer the rendering of the above two. Optically they're probably superior, but I personally find both of them (especially the 12-60) too contrasty or clinical, not sure what it is exactly. This is absolutely no scientific review, I'm just posting my thoughts and preferences. Maybe they'll be helpful to one or the other member here. To my eyes, especially comparing the 14-140 with the 12-60, I very much prefer the former for its realistic render and feel.

The 15 1.7 is nice and fast, but I'll probably get one of the Voigtländer Nocticrons in its place for the future.

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts and findings if you own or have owned any of the above lenses and had a chance to compare them.

Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow