Mounting EF 70-200 f2.8 iii?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mason2cool Forum Member • Posts: 60
Mounting EF 70-200 f2.8 iii?

I was able to get an EF 70-200 f/2.8 iii in almost brand new condition for around $1k. I am considering either selling it and getting a native lens (possibly a wide angle prime lens or the new Sony 70-200 ii -- though that's very expensive) or reverse mounting it...

I usually shoot with primes on my a7riii which has in some ways skewed my expectations and left me quite disappointed reg the relative sharpness of my new 200-600 G and my old 24-240mm. As a native prime lens user would reverse mounting the Canon ef 70-200 iii have any significant side effects or problems? If I ever get a Teleconverter for the 200-600 it's not going to work on the EF...

I also use a gen 1 A7R multispectrum. Would there be any issues mounting it on the older camera such as weight/mount stress or adapter compatibility?

A few questions for anyone with experience using this lens or mounting EF lenses:

• How does this lens perform mounted and is it very sharp across all focal lengths?
  • Is the AF accurate and snappy, do eye af and tracking work well?
  • How does the metal build quality, motors, waterproofing, and durability compare with Sonys lighter 70-200's (this thing feels built like a tank)?
  • The lens is currently missing the lens hood and foot. Are there any specific third party alternatives I should consider getting for these?
  • Would getting an ef adapter be worth it given I dont currently have any other ef lenses? If I do keep the lens what EF adapter do you recommend?
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow