Can PP of JPEG images make a significant difference in images such as this one?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
travelfoodphoto
travelfoodphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 505
Can PP of JPEG images make a significant difference in images such as this one?

Good afternoon,

I've been shooting images of hummingbirds in my backyard lately and really enjoy the cropped, close ups I've been able to obtain. I'm shooting with a Panasonic FZ300, a 12MP small sensor 25-600mm zoom lens camera. I've been shooting at 600mm and still have had to crop the image significantly to get what I want in terms of bird closeups.

I recently entered this image in a site wide bird challenge, and placed 8th out of 50 entries. Almost all entries were shot with expensive ILC cameras and lenses, some costing in excess of $10K! My FZ300 sold for about $400 when I purchased it a few months ago new.

Here's a link to the challenge:

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=15564

I PP in Apple's simple Photo app and basically sharpen the image a bit and brighten the image some as well as often crop significantly.

My question is: if I was to learn how and use more sophisticated software, still shooting JPEGs, would the final product be very noticeably better when viewed on a 21" or 27" high quality monitor. I have a 5K 27" iMac.

Here is the image I entered in the recent challenge, followed by the original image SOOC. If anyone feels like seeing what they can do to better the original image and could recommend software, should the improvement be quite noticeable, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

TFP

travelfoodphoto's gear list:travelfoodphoto's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow