R3 with 1.4 TC or R7

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Zcarxrg Junior Member • Posts: 41
R3 with 1.4 TC or R7

I am an "enthusiast" bird photographer trying an apples to oranges comparison between the Canon R3 and upcoming Canon R7 camera to determine which would be a better purchase for me.   I don't shoot at set up blinds and prefer action photography over stills.  I currently shoot an R5 or 1dx II with a 600 MM f4 IS II, Canon 400 MM DO IS II or Canon 100-400 mm IS II.  I am pleased with the overall results I get using any of those lenses and a 1.4 Teleconverter.  The R5 often takes more time to acquire focus than the length of an event that I am trying to acquire unless the R5 is pre-focused near the focus distance required for the shot.

Replacing my 1dxII with one of these two options is the goal due to the focus tracking  superiority, increased resolution and frame rates available and the ease of capturing occasional viewfinder based videos.  I usually carry both the r5 and 1dx II on primes as my "zoom" option.

My comparison is based on  using the 1.4 type three teleconverter on the 24 mpix R3 or having a bare lens on the 32 mpix R7.   I am expecting to have superior focusing abilities with the R3 and 1.4 TC than the R7 due to technical design, battery type and marketing position.  My example is based on having an R3 combo providing a 560 mm equivalent field of view vs an R7 cropped equivalent 640mm field of view considering using a 400 mm lens on either camera.  I want to consider the crop sensor R7 so I can carry smaller lighter glass and potentially get better detail with the 32 mpix sensor.

I am also considering Canon's own documentation stating that the perceived resolution of the  R3 is more like that of a 30 mpix sensor and that the expected 32 mpix of the R7 requires a pixel size and density equivalent to a full frame sensor of more than 80 mpix.  I have to expect a significant  ISO noise penalty with the R7 compared to the R3 since 1/2000 is considered my minimum shutter speed except on large birds in flight.

While I can afford the R3 ( a used one may be available at $5 - 5.5 K ) I still have to consider price a factor.  Considering price it might also make sense to consider that I could get the R7 and the RF 100-500MM lens for about the same cost as the R3 alone.

Ideally, bird in flight shooters and action wildlife shooters using the R3 would comment here. Thanks in advance....

As with most discussion I fully expect this to be more about compromises and "discussion" vs "conclusion".

Zcarxrg's gear list:Zcarxrg's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +12 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS R3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow